In early 1908 a group of local business men decided that it was time for Newcastle-under-Lyme to have it’s own golf course, subsequently two fields on Westlands Farm were leased from Mr.Ralph Sneyd of nearby Keele Hall. On the 10th of October of that year a 9 hole course was opened, Newcastle-under-Lyme Golf Club was born. His Imperial Highness the Grand Duke Michael of Russia who was resident at Keele Hall, agreed to be our first president, a position he held for some twelve years. Like other clubs, the war years took it’s toll, but 1924 saw the course extended to 14 holes and a further 4 holes added in 1926. Since then extensive tree planting and new holes cut through an Oakland plantation (Hand’s Wood ) has made Newcastle Golf Club one of the finest clubs in North Staffordshire. Mature tree lined undulated fairways, testing par 3’s make the course demanding and challenging for both high and single figure golfers.